We, in the U.S., can be so materialistic. We forget about the simplicity of just living and enjoying life. We have become germaphobic, social-networked, cell-phoneaholics. Yep, that is my diagnosis. We are so detached that the maintaining of personal relationships have fallen to the wayside. I realized that I was one of these people one day while walking around the Christmas Market. I actually ate something someone touched with their bare hands and was grilled out in the open. I enjoyed it and didn't DIE! Why was it in Germany I could do this, but back home I would cringe?! Back home, automation and depersonalization is the status quo. I was saddened by that realization. On to happier things....
There is nothing, I mean NOTHING, better than the Christmas season in my husband's home town. There are decorations galore celebrating the true meaning of CHRISTmas! Shocking, I know! Christmas markets are full of good food, mulled wine, handmade crafts, and just the spirit of the season.

OMG, the food, the FOOD!
...and not forgetting the BEST coffee on the planet from our favorite hangout!
More important than the wonderful food was the wonderful visit with family. I was in tears at the mere thought of leaving because these people are the most wonderful, loving in-laws a woman could possibly be blessed with.

After this uplifting trip I headed home determined to not get sucked back in to the American way. Work, work, work to get stuff, stuff, stuff! It is a little ironic because before the trip I applied and interviewed for a Nurse Manager position in the Main PACU (we have five of them) at my hospital. The day I came home, I found a blinking message on my answering machine with the job offer. I should have been ecstatic, but instead I felt deflated. So much for my new life of simplicity! I took the job because I know I will be good at it and eventually, despite the long hours and pay cut, I will love it! Until then I dream of this life in a far away land...

No comments:
Post a Comment